Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 19 October 2014

BQSG Seminar in Worthing 2014

This year's BQSG seminar was held at the Chatsworth Hotel in Worthing. This is on the south coast, not far from Brighton. I was lucky this year, as I was able to get a lift with Hilary, who also lives in Suffolk. What a treat....not having to battle with the M25 or Dartford Crossing! Although I must say, no heavy traffic this year.


Everyone stayed at the same venue this year...the food was excellent and we had a nice room for our seminar. The young staff seemed very attentive. My only complaint was that the room was very warm -you could practically grow bananas - but otherwise, very pleasant.

The group discussed the seminar format, and we all agreed that staying at one location, with evenings free for discussion, seemed the most agreeable recipe. Many thanks to Susan who has very successfully organised the last four years seminars. Next year's seminar will be held on October 16 -18 2015 in Manchester, at the Luther King Conference Centre. More details in the next issue of Culcita, or the BQSG website.

It was interesting to see the Pier, so close to the hotel. It is very sedate compared to our more raffish Felixstowe here in Suffolk! Worthing has many elegant buildings from the 1930's.


On Friday, two groups were able to view quilts in the Worthing Museum. Textiles and costume have always  formed a major part of the Worthing Museums collection, and we were able to look at the museum display cases of costumes and textiles. Some other textiles items were also set out in the workroom for us to look at. There were gloves, shoes, pockets and other embroidered items....


Many commented that hexagons seemed the order of the weekend, both at the museum, and in the papers presented. From my notes, I think this is an quilt made by Anne Silk, finished in 1852. The fabrics are nicely arranged, with repeats of the striped fabrics.


Close up of the above quilt....


This is a table cover, judging from the braid around the edges....the centre dates from 1820-1850. The outer borders and braid are younger, 1870-1880. The blue fabric in the outermost border has bled...the fabrics contain some linen. Cotton thread came into use in the 1820s-1830's...linen thread is seen here?


Another photo of our group and the curator, seen at right with the gloves. What a stack of quilts! More on the seminar talks in the next post.




2 comments:

  1. Wish I could have been there - what a treat! Such beautiful EPP quilts and fabrics - look forward to the next installment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting about the seminar and photos of the quilts you viewed. Beautiful. Worthing was a bit too far bit looking forward to next year on my home ground and the venue in Manchester is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete