Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 21 March 2013

Bellringing for Musicians



The music of changeringing - a quote from an article and talk by John Harrison:

Its music, Jim, but not as we know it...

Just imagine:

An instrument whose moving parts weigh a ton or so.
An instrument with a delay of over a second between your action and a sound.
Playing an ensemble of such instruments to a precision of a few hundreths of a second.
A form of music constrained to play every note before repeating any of them.
Composing a piece to last several hours in which no bar must be the same as any other.
Performing such a piece without any music.

The full article can be found at www.jaharrison.me.uk/Ringing/Music

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pippa, thanks for that. Interesting reading.
    No ringing at all in Christchurch now. Nearest tower is 4 hours south by car, or 45 mins by plane to the North Island..... Hope everyone at Pettristree is well.

    ReplyDelete