Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 3 February 2013

Wedding Gifts

At Tom and Lily's wedding, as is the Japanese tradition, I was given some lovely gifts by Lily's family .


I was given these lovely dolls, each dressed in traditional kimonos, and with a music box inside. I would love to know more about these - and to know the tune! Each is wearing a little crown - what can that mean?


I was also given a lovely lacquer bowl,  with cloth napkins. In addition, there were traditional bean paste cakes.

I would like to send a thank you letter, with a gift - it is usual to reciprocate with gifts of equal value - however, I would not know enough to be able to do this. Instead, I have decided to make a hand made gift - a paper cut applique block- and I decided to do this block :


...it is from the book "Papercuts and Plenty. Here it is on my Millennium Quilt - I really enjoyed  making this block, and hope that it will make up into a nice cushion.

I took a series of photos, and in the next post I'll show how to make a papercut applique block.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Nice to see your post.Gifts looks gorgeous..i adore..i love those dolls and i wish to give a gift like this to my fiance:)

    Wedding Gifts

    ReplyDelete