Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 20 January 2013

Ralli Quilt or Kantha


Here is a ralli quilt or kantha that I bought before the holidays. The other ralli qults that I have are pieced, but this one is, I guess, a whole cloth, in that it is made from one piece of fabric. It looks like a worn sari to me! It is in shades of orange and has printed borders.


The two sides are different lengths of cloth.




The cloth has been densely stitched to make a quilt. There are also patches here and there to make good some holes in the cloth.


Here you can see the quilting stitch, a simple running stitch. This makes an interesting surface texture. Two years ago I heard an interesting lecture on kanthas, but I am not very knowledgable about them.....but it is interesting to see a quilting tradition from another part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment