Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 12 September 2012

Dimension in Quilt Art

In  August, I was given a quilting book - it had been sent by mistake and was going to be pulped -
luckily, someone thought of me and the book was saved. It is  by C June Barnes and is called Exploring Dimension in Quilt Art.


June Barnes is a very  talented quilter who, I think, has conducted a series of experiments with shapes and textures. Some interesting nuggets to be found....



So. I was very surprised to find an exhibit of pieces at the Festival of Quilts that looked very familiar. While the objects look good in the photos, the reality was more interesting. There are some nice textures to be seen. Many of the items resulted from using materials which shrink at different rates - a firm base onto which is sewn a fabric which shrinks greatly - interesting textures result. This one is called Squaring Up and is based on a nine patch.


And this is called Lumps and Bumps. It looked like sea anemones.


"Pucker Up"


Wound Up - based on an Archimedian spiral.


.....and a series of different cone shaped bottles. These must be quilts, because I can see wadding in them!

No comments:

Post a Comment