Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 5 September 2011

Welsh patchwork Quilt

Here is a patchwork quilt that was bought at auction in Cross Hands near Llanelli. It measures 79 x 70 inches, and is a heavy quilt,weighing over 2 kilos.

One side has this large triangular pattern. The dark blue fabric was not colour fast and has bled onto the adjacent fabrics.



A wide variety of sateen offcuts have been used, together with some furnishing fabrics.



The other side - you can see that the dark blue dye has bled through onto the lighter fabrics.


The centre of the quilt where the bleeding can be seen. Some good welsh quilting can be seen here.



A close up of the sateen fabrics and the quilting patterns.


The outer borders have an angular twist and straight lines of stitching.


Bought from a seller in Pembroke Dock, who had had this quilt for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment