Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 26 July 2011

Quilts Sent Off!!

The two quilts were sent off today on 48 hour post - they had to arrive by Friday so I thought I'd better play it safe. With so much work on the quilts to get them ready, I was glad to see the back of them - I always get that "fed up" feeling...

Safely packed - the quilts had to be "defurred". Although I keep the quilts under a sheet while in the frame, inevitably there are a lot of cat hairs and fibres on them - a few pieces of sticky tape really help to clean them up and look sharp.


The bell quilt had been stitched in the ditch for the bell blocks...using invisible thread....


You stitch on the low side of the seam, as near as possible to the seam line - if the seam allowance changes sides, you sometimes have to change slightly...



My template for the machine quilted border - does anyone recognise the cover of Dove? It was just the right size to make a template from...
I find the Karismacolor by Berol artists pencils the best for marking as long as you keep them sharp - they come in all sorts of colours, light and dark, and go on easily and are very distinct.



The Bell motif was connected with a ribbon and curving tendrils which are the most fun part to do....



The bells were placed one way and then the other, rather like a cross stitch border....


I now have 100 followers - many thanks to you all! I also found out a few days ago that I am the British Patchwork and Quilting Magazine's "Blog of the Month" for September - more information when I see what was said about me...I trust that it is good.....


I am looking forward to the Festival of Quilts in August very much and will be going for all four days - staying at the St Johns Hotel in Solihull with the Quilters Haven lot...I will be doing duties at the BQSG table for Saturday and Sunday but haven't got anything else planned -so am "up" for meeting up with quilters if they are attending too- if I am not to be found at the BQSG table, give me a ring on my mobile - number at BQSG or Karin Hellaby/Quilters Haven stall in quilting in action...hope to see you there.....

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing some ribbons on your amazing quilts. I love this border you are putting on the 'bell' quilt. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many wonderful quilts ( the standard is very high) and so few prizes at FOQ - so I do not expect any ribbons. I remember Philippa Naylor's wonderful Star quilt - nothing at all at FOQ, everyone was so surprised because it really stood out - it went on to win several major prizes at other quilt shows, including Houston...it is just nice to exhibit and take part. Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on all the good news, Pippa, and all the best for more good news from the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilting in the borders is perfect !
    Connecting the bell design with the ribbon stencil is a great idea.
    Congratulations on being selected for September.

    ReplyDelete