Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 24 June 2011

Allendale "Cutter"

Here is an Allendale quilt which has seen better days! This quilt came from a house clearance in the Hexham area of Northumberland. It is pale yellow on one side and cream on the other. The stitching is good; however, the top and bottom sides have been trimmed. The size of the quilt is now is 60 x 80 inches. This quilt was sold as a "cutter"and I knew that it had been trimmed but I was intrigued...but I should have realised from these measurements that quite a bit had been trimmed away.when the quilt arrived, I was surprised to find that about 6 - 8" had been trimmed from two sides and the borders and all the corner treatment was missing! As I did not pay much, it did not matter....but it would have been nice to see more of the quilting pattern...


Here is the centre of the quilt with its rose centre, straight ferns and feathers - very similar to the white Allendale in good condition that I showed you earlier. This quilt has been expertly and professionally marked.It looks to be by the same hand as the worn blue quilt and new white quilt. I just wish we could group these quilts stylistically and link them to known names!!


Another view of the very attractive centre...nicely stitched...


What's left of the border - a swag with a rose over the joins - and a corner device of a circle with three feathers and scrolling...



Two colours, pale yellow and a cream cotton sateen - well worn and very soft now.....
This is the last of the Allendale stamped quilts that I have to show you - you can see that some are expertly marked, others are slightly less accomplished although still much better than a home marked quilt.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Pippa for doing this fantastic series. It has been so interesting seeing all these beautiful Allendale quilts one after the other and being able to see through your excellent photos and descriptions the similarities and the differences between them. They are such lovely quilts and its great that you've shared them and their known history with us all. This quilt with its missing sides we can only guess about! but the quilting that's left is lovely.
    Best wishes, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really hurts to see this beautiful quilt trimmed...but nevertheless it is still a wonderful quilt. It was such a pleasure to see you great collection of stamped quilts - do you already have an idea what comes next on your blog? I am really looking forward to your following posts here!

    ReplyDelete